Wednesday, May 30, 2012

két hét (week 2)


It has been two weeks today since I have been a missionary.  It feels so crazy to know that this is only the beginning of it all.  Two months from today I will be on my 22 hour flight to Hungary.  It is sooooooo weird to think that it is that close, yet so far. 
Things are going so well here.  I took French for three years in high school and for a year in college and I am already beginning to understand Hungarian more.  I can form my own sentences and speak at a pre-school level, but it is so awesome to see how the Lord has blessed me with the ability to learn the language.  Learning a language is hard though, especially at such a pressuring and rapid speed.  I never thought I would be jealous of the English speaking missionaries until I got into the MTC.
These English missionaries are here for three weeks and have the blessing to focus completely on the gospel.  It would be nice to be able to focus simply on the gospel, but I know Hungary is where I am meant to be.  It is so cool, the love I have for the people grows by the minute.  There is actually three missionaries here in the MTC from Hungary!  I just want to hug them when I see them, but it freaks me out when they speak.  When they speak I wonder if I am learning the same language they know haha.
Hungarian is not just hard, its crazy.  The language has a thing called cases, which basically is different endings to verbs to change the meaning.  What makes the words so long is the fact that there can be more than one case ending.  The longest word I have been able to read is 22 letters long, talk about rough.  It's rough, but so beautiful. 
Gould Elder and I are getting along so much better now.  When we were first thrown in here together, we both did not know what to think of each other.  I mean, we were both thrown into a new environment and lifestyle and we both just saw the experience differently.  I came out intense and ready to work, but he came out with the attitude of "Nelson Elder, just chill, the Lord will take care of it." After we got on the same level, its been smooth sailing.
Twelve Elders is a lot to keep under control in such a confined space.  Our classroom is like a 10 by 12 room with all of us crammed into it.  In the summer, it gets toasty in there.  Then top that off with cafeteria food that doesn't always sit the best.  So to keep the tally going, hot and stinky.  We are all just dreading the moment for someone to stand up and release more smell than any of us can handle hahaha.  And think of it, with twelve Elders, one is bound to be unfocused, making us all get off track.  The latest distraction has been dictionary launching with the hinged desks.
I wish I had pictures to share, but I can't put any on because of the computers we use in here.  There is no way to attach pictures, but I will make up for the lack of pictures when I get out of the MTC in two months.  Love life.  Love Gould Elder.  Love the mission.  Missing the family.  Wouldn't trade these moments for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment