Monday, December 31, 2012

Hungary Week 22

Boldog új évet!

Hasn't it been such a wonderful past couple weeks?  Christmas time is truly one of miracles.  So much has happened I don't know where to begin.

These past couple weeks Forsythe elder and I have just dove into member missionary work.  It has been such a wonderful opportunity to get to the heart of real missionary work.  We have worked with several inactives in the hope of bringing some lost people back home and the Lord has blessed us with success.  In the past month or two we have successfully brought several inactive church members back to activity.  That means that they have come back to church not only for our wonderful Christmas Sunday, but to stay.  The branch is growing and I couldn't be more grateful.

One of the biggest miracles that I have been able to witness is that of a small 8 year old girl.  Her family has been baptized, but they haven't come to church to much.  By chance, I ran into this family in September, making them one of the only inactive families to have let us in.  We were let in by the only non member of the family.  This little girl is the biggest sweetheart I have ever met.  We came into the door to her just opening up about her desire of baptism.  We had to explain that baptism wasn't just the end and that baptism was just the beginning.  Baptism is such an important step, but every member has to learn the basics, reading from the scriptures daily, prayer and the Sabbath Day.  That Sunday, this sweet little girl came to church alone because her mom had to work.

She has such a desire that she chases her mom down every night to say a family prayer.  This supportive mother and amazing little girl have now attended church for seven weeks in a row in attempt to show us how ready she is.   We asked her yesterday if she thinks she is ready.  Her response was simply, "YES!  And I want you missionaries to baptize me!" 

My Christmas package from my family didn't come in and I couldn't spend the holidays with my family, but this little girl made my Christmas.  She helped me remember why I came here.  I am so speechlessly grateful for this opportunity to serve the Lord and see lives change.  I couldn't be more grateful for my companion Forsythe elder and my wonderful family back home.

Outside of my little Christmas miracle, Christmas was a wonderful experience.  We opened presents with the other elders under our one foot tree we got in the city, celebrated with a wonderful single néni who fed us a four course meal until we felt like we were about to burst, I skyped my family which was absolutely amazing and took some moments to share the true meaning of Christmas, Christ's life.

Tonight we will get to help our branch with a small New Years party and family home evening.  Miracles are happening here in Veszprém and I couldn't be more grateful.

Life is what you make it, make it wonderful.

Nelson elder

No comments:

Post a Comment